Dr Muin Boase is an international lawyer with experience advising both state and non-state actors in public international law before international courts and tribunals. He has expertise in state and diplomatic immunities, the law of treaties, international human rights law and investor-state arbitration. He is a Senior Lecturer in International Law at the University of Derby, where he Co-Directs the International Law Research Cluster and is Director of the International Human Rights Law Clinic.
Muin previously worked as a Research Assistant at 20 Essex Street (2014-2016) in international commercial arbitration and public international law. He taught public international law at SOAS, University of London (2010 – 2020) and was a Visiting Fellow at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge (2018 – 2019). He has previously held research positions at the United Nations in New York and the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
He has submitted evidence to the House of Lords, International Agreements Committee, and presented to conferences at Harvard Law School, the University of Cambridge, Goethe University Frankfurt and the American University of Cairo.
- Advisory Opinion, International Court of Justice, preparatory work (details confidential).
- LCIA arbitration, £1.1 million energy dispute in North Africa, Appointed as Tribunal Secretary.
- Al Warraq v Indonesia, OIC Treaty on Investment, UNCITRAL Rules, Award 15 December 2014, research on FET standard.
- Amending an Arbitration Award in a PCA state to state Arbitration (details confidential).
- R (Bancoult) v Secretary of State for the FCO (No 3)  1 WLR 973, research on the admissibility of diplomatic cables.
- Arrest Warrant Case in the UK under UNCAT (details confidential).
- Complaint to the Human Rights Council Working Group on Communications under HRC Res 5/1 (details confidential)
- Mid-East Sales Ltd v United Engineering and Trading Co (PVT) Ltd  2 All ER (Comm) 623 Freezing order of a state-owned military bank account and state immunity.
PhD, SOAS University of London
LLM, SOAS University of London
BVC, City Law School
GDL, BPP Law School
BSc, London School of Economics
The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
British Institute of International and Comparative Law
European Society of International Law
International Law Association
Fellow, Higher Education Authority
- ‘Indigenous Groups as Non-Disputing Parties in Investor-State ICSID Arbitration: Can the Subaltern Speak?’ (forthcoming)
- Written Evidence, ‘House of Lords Inquiry on the UK-Rwanda Memorandum of Understanding’, International Agreements Committee, 26 August 2022.
- ‘A Genealogy of Censurable Conduct: Antecedents for an International Minimum Standard of Investor Conduct’, in Stephan W. Schill, Christian J. Tams and Rainer Hofmann (eds) International Investment Law and History (Edward Elgar, 2018) 321-366.
- Case Note, Vedanta Resources PLC and Another v Lungowe and Others (2021) 191 ILR 571.
- Case Note, Kumar Lama v Regina, International Law Reports (2020) 185 ILR 506.
Public International Law
Government Advisory Work
International Investment Arbitration
International Human Rights Law
International Criminal Law